Tuesday, April 29, 2008

On Saturday night we played Wii for the first time. Now, for those of you who don't know what that is (namely, Mom), it's an interactive game where you can play different sports using a remote that senses your body's motions. We had a bowling tournament and to bowl, you hold down a button and make the bowling motion with your arm and then let go of the button which releases the ball.
It was fun, but it took me a while to get used to only needing to move my arm, not actually take the steps with my feet.
Amy and Bill are quite good and Bill has a wicked back spin.

I'm afraid the game wasn't entertaining enough for LuLu. She kept falling asleep on the chair!


Saturday afternoon when I went on my walk, I couldn't resist the wildflowers!

I picked enough to fill four vases, and they sure looked bright and cheery.

Most of them still look fresh today, but I guess there's always more to replenish them when the old ones die.

Sunday afternoon Bill had to trim the birds' toe nails and feathers. It was interesting watching and learning about the parrots. We found out that parrots actually have blood in the feathers that are growing, and once they reach full maturity they need to be pulled or trimmed to make room for the new ones coming in. The old feathers don't have the blood in them, which makes it easier to trim.

I thought it was interesting to learn that parrots don't have a clotting factor in their blood, so they can bleed to death from a small cut or losing a blood feather. Bill has to put something on the tip of the feather that is bleeding to make it clot.

The birds sure put up a fuss about it all! I knew they could be noisy, but this was really loud! The dogs were outside on the back deck going crazy because they thought something awful was going on inside and they needed to be in there protecting somebody. The birds were screeching and flapping and the dogs were jumping on the windows barking crazily - a lot of cacophoy, to be sure!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you're having fun!
Those wildflowers look so cool!
I wish I could be there to take pictures of them. Oh well the flowers around here are just starting to bloom I'll have fun with my flowers. :)
Crik

Gretchen said...

I love the bouquets, girls! Lovely color and texture differences. It's so fun to get a little peek into your trip. Somebody said yesterday that he was going back to an empty house - I think he's missing you! GJ

The Hemmers said...

I miss him too. There's nobody quite like one's own brother, is there!
~Melody