Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sailing

The day before we left Texas,
Bill and Amy took us out on their sailboat for 4 hours.
It was a fun way to end our time down there!
It was about 70 degrees and sunny,
so we had a beautiful day for being on the water.
They keep their 28-ft. Catalina at a marina on a huge lake near Dallas.
Here is the Ark Angel.

It wasn't extremely windy,
but we had enough of a breeze to keep us moving.
The jib was being repaired, but the mainsail did the job for us.


Bill gave us a short lesson in sailing and let us man the wheel.

I'm not sure I understood everything he was saying, but I did manage to remember what starboard and port meant.

No mishaps happened while we were at the wheel, so we must have done okay!

I took this picture from out the cabin window.

I thought the view right down by the water was neat.

There were quite a few other sailboats out on the lake that afternoon.

Here's one with some pretty sails.


Amy bought us these cute matching bandanas to wear. They were useful as well as cute because they helped keep our hair out of our faces.





Thanks guys for a fun experience!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys look so cute with those bandanas!
I'm glad you guys had fun but it is really nice to have you back!
Crik

Gretchen said...

How fun to see this set of pictures! Nate and I used to crew on a racing boat on Lake Michigan durning the summer. Seeing these brought back a lot of happy memories (especially since I never got sick!).

Previous posts have also have some great pictures as well, but the way!

The Sisson Clan said...

Hey,

Wonderful pictures. I'm ready for summer. How about you?

Was that Lake Ray Hubbard? I don't know if I spelled that right, but it's north of Dallas and my aunt and uncle have a house there on it. I have many memories of learning to water ski on that lake! Not necessarily good memories, HA. I never could get the hang of it.
Mrs. Sisson