Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spring Recital

This past Sunday I had my student piano recitals. Like last year, I split the students into two groups. My family was grateful not to sit through 2+ hours all at one time!

Jaden
His twin, Elijah
Clinton
Not all of my students could be in the recitals, so I had the Kalebaugh girls perform in both. Plus, I like the younger kids to hear advanced students. It gives them incentive!
The Friday night before the recital, I called Crystal and asked if she was up for a last minute addition. The next morning, we worked up a skit for the offering. If you've ever seen Victor Borge perform Hungarian Rhapsody by Liszt, you have an idea what we did.
We "fought" over the piano, played sideways, reached around each other, pulled the other person's hat down, ran around the bench, switched spots, etc...
At one point, she even sat on my lap while I played around her! The music was far from perfect, but we sure had fun together!
In between recitals, some of the girls took the opportunity to take a few pictures. It was raining, but that didn't stop them.

Rachel, Gabrielle, Becky, Crystal, and Samantha
Recital number two was just as much fun!
I enjoy watching all my students play, but it's especially fun to see my little ones up there. Their feet don't even touch the floor.

Michael
Heather
Steven and Michael both played worship songs, and their dad accompanied them on the guitar.
I think reception time is probably the favorite part of the recital for many people--my brother being one of them! ;-)
Actually, my family members all help out with the setting up, serving, and clean up, and I couldn't do it without them! It allows me to visit with the guests and congratulate students without having to worry about a thing.
As Jase served punch, Sam kept him company. He was trying to get away from my camera, but I managed to get a shot of him!
My mom and grandpa made the table decorations.
Visiting...

Time for clean up.
Sarah was a great helper!

The Kalebaughs and their relatives--faithful friends helping out to the end!
Sarah's brothers and Dad
It was a very long day, but I really enjoyed hearing my students perform after all their hard work!

I'm posting a video clip of Crystal. It may take a while to open since it is 4 minutes long, but it's worth the wait! She arranged her own song this year! The proud teacher has to brag on her students some, right?!!!

Seriously though, it's amazing to me what God can do through someone. He gives us a gift, but what we do with that gift is up to us. Will we offer that gift and ourselves back to the Lord and allow Him to work through us to bless others, or will we use it only for our own advancement and glory? I am so thankful God has allowed me to help other people develop their gifts and give them the opportunities to use their talents for Him!

3 comments:

theTwins said...

alRIGHT!!
I loved the video of Crystal's peice ( even though a recording doesn't do it justice, and I'm a proud sister bragging... )
Faith, To teach all those students ( me included ) you are a Saint.
:)

crik said...

Yep it does make for a long day! ;) But I don always enjoy getting to perform!

Our "skit" was tons of fun too! Just how come in the pictures I'm the one looking weird??? :)

Dawn said...

Great work Faith! (& family)
I fully know and understand all of the work that goes on behind the scenes of a recital of this size between the day to day lessons, planing, comments from family members from hearing 'twinkle twinkle' day in and day out with-in the house ;) plus all that extra work with students etc and I can fully appreciate and respect such a recital as this. So, I mean it when I say good job! :)
What a blessing to be able to use your talent to help others and serve the Lord with your musical gifts.

~Dawn