Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Rollerskating

A few weeks ago (yeah, I'm behind on blogging) we went to the roller rink near us for an evening of exercise and fellowship. Some of our friends organized the private event, and we had a big group of people join in the fun.
Rachel and I helped Joy on her first trip around the rink.
Smile, Beck!
Crystal and ZoeI kept trying to get a picture of Jason as he went by me, but someone was always getting in the way. He didn't know that, and by the 6th try, he was wondering what I was doing.

Mom and Amanda S. (Dad had to work that evening.)
Even the little kids got out on the rink some of the time. They did pretty well!
The rink managers organize different games and activities in between the "all-skate" time.

The "Hokey-Pokey" and "Chicken Dance" are among them. Not many people like to participate in these songs, but we caught a few of the adults and people joining in on the side. I think we were all watching them rather than the people in the middle!

"4 Corners" is another game that is played. When the music stops, everyone has to go to a numbered corner. The big die in the middle is tossed, and if your corner is rolled, you're out.Melody had just had her hair cut that morning, and everyone was shocked when she walked in the rink. Every time she skated in front of me, I wondered, "Who IS that girl? Oh, it's my sister!"
Tosca and Molly W.
Rachel and her brother, Josh
Race time!
The top three winners in every category received a coupon for the snack bar or a free visit to the rink on a regular night. The cheering section
Michal (Mi-kale) S. and Wraya W.
Strollers come in handy for parents who want to skate, and the little kids enjoy the ride.
Time for "The Limbo"!
I think both Jason and the rink employee are wondering if he will make it under this time.
Hmm...can he do it?
I don't think you're small enough, Jase!

Nope.

Well, Jason, I see Jasey made it under. She won a necklace.
During the three-some skate, the Hemmer siblings teamed up. We enjoy skating as fast as we can together, and the person (me!) on the outside gets quite the ride!
It was a fun evening!

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Aw! Looks like so much fun! I haven't skated in so many years, but I remember doing all those same games at skating parties I'd go to!

Limbo is great!!!!! Guess you have an advantage though if your short! ;)

Jessica McDonald said...

Ooo! That looks like sooo much fun! I've actually only gone skating maybe once in my entire life.
We're hoping to go ice skating sometime this year (as we've never done that) and I suppose that's similar to regular skating. :-D

Have a Merry Christmas!!!

crik said...

Fun! I think skating is one of my favorite things to do! (Prolly 'cause I don't look like I'm making a fool out of myself when I do it! LOL )

Can I post about this now Fe? A lot of them are 'my' pics! ;)

Anonymous said...

That looks like too much fun. I haven't been rollerskating in forever! Elli Jones

The Hemmers said...

Yep, we had alot of fun that evening!

Jessica, I only went ice skating once many years ago, so I couldn't really tell you if it was simliar to rollerskating. I guess if you wear rollerblades, it might be similar. ;-)

Crik, I'm not stopping you from posting about this. Hey, you've had a month to beat me to it, after all! Thanks for sharing some of your pics since mine didn't all turn out.

Hey, Elli! I think this is the first time you've commented on our blog. I didn't even know you had the link. How fun to hear from you! I tried to get on your blog once but couldn't find it. I'll have to ask Gretchen for the address.

Gretchen said...

I do love roller/ice skating! It was fun to see your pictures. I'm still getting used to the new do as well! - GJ