Saturday, November 29, 2008

Christmas Decorating

Christmas time is here! Yesterday we brought out all the Christmas decorations and began the fun work of putting them up.

I used the editorial "we" since it's really Melody and Mom who do most of the work. Mel has the gift of making things look beautiful, and she enjoys it. Decorating is not my thing, so I am quite happy to leave it to the other females of the house.


I think I like the corner hutch the most with all the white lights and glass.

I love the reflections. One of Mom's normal jobs is putting up the garland, lights and angels in the kitchen.
It's so bright in there, you don't even need a light. Jason and I usually handle putting up the window stickees.

Melody and I like the nativity scene to be nicely arranged, but as you can see, Jason has other ideas. He likes to do more unusual things with the stickees!This next picture is a tradition. When Jase was younger, he always made the chickens have a snow ball fight. Mel or I would put them back, and when Jason noticed it, he would re-arrange them to his liking again. We used to get so frustrated with him for messing up the window, but now we think it's funny. These past couple years, he's been too busy, so some of our friends who've heard the story took over his job. Another one of my jobs is to set up our artificial tree. This year Dad was around to help with the lights.We then wait until everybody is available to put the ornaments on. Hmm...sometimes weird people show up at our house.
My mom's parents give us an ornament every year.
Another one of our traditions is "fighting" over what ornament is going to top the tree. Will it be an angel (the girls' choice) or the red star (Jason's favorite)?We used to argue about it when we were little--each claiming the other person had their choice last year and it was our turn this year. I don't know why Mom didn't write it down, but if she had, it would have ruined our fun.

Believe it or not, we still "argue" over the tree topper.Who will win this time? I think Jason has a better advantage than Mel since he can reach higher. Compromise? Ah ha...the angel is going for the top! Can she make it? Well, Jason may have won this year, but now we have proof that it will be our turn next year!
Melody and I made these ornaments for our parents when we were in Sunday school many, many moons ago. (What's up with my expression? I think the sun must have been a little bright.)
A few years after we made our ornaments, Jason wanted to know why he didn't have one. We told him it was because he was just a baby at the time. He decided he needed his picture on an ornament too, so he drew one himself. Do you like the self-portrait? I especially like the 6 fingers on one hand! Our friends the Kalebaughs heard this story, so they made him an ornament with pictures of him on it. Unfortunately, Jason will not let me post a picture of that one--too incriminating. If you want to see it, you have to come to our house.
Our nativity set was made by my mom's parents. Grandpa made the stable, and Grandma painted the ceramics.

It's a special reminder of the Reason we celebrate Christmas.
Like the figurines, our focus should be on Christ!

8 comments:

Danielle said...

I laughed SOOOO hard reading this blog post and seeing the pictures!!! :) Great post! :) I love that pic of the star on top and the Angel not far behind! :D lol So great! :)

Also, Jason...you haven't changed much from that drawing you made! :P

The tree is beautiful and all that garland up looks so pretty too! :)

theTwins said...

I Love Christmas and Decorating... We just got our tree.
The Star looks cool, and it's awesome that Jason has trained certian someones to re-arrange the chickens. Your house always looks so nice.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a lot of fun! I like the fighting about which ornament to put on top of the tree:) I like the hutch. That was beautiful!
Abby

The Capp Crew said...

The decorations are so beautiful! Got us inspired to get our decorations out. :)

Anonymous said...

We haven't had a chance to get ours out yet. Yours look beautiful!
Blessings!
The Pollock family

Gretchen said...

I love decorating! K. and I are right in the middle of it. Somehow his two strands of lights that used to cover his whole tree didn't get me very far - I like lots of lights! So right now, we're about 1/3 decorated. :-P

Your glass and lights display is quite lovely! I also love having lights in the kitchen. Ambiance for late night dish washing! Nice work.

P.S. Cute curly look, Mel!

jess said...

I love decorating too! Your house looks beautiful! Fun pictures:)
-Jess

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun, family time - however I wasn't aware trimming the tree was a full-contact sport ;)

When we decorate the tree one of my favorite traditions is playing some crazy, old, Christmas records. The best songs are "Scrooge" by the Ventures and "Yingle Bells" (Jingle Bells with the lyrics changed - sung by a Swede with a thick accent. You have to hear it to appreciate it's timeless value - ha ha, and having a Scandinavian heritage helps too!)

I am partial to stars as tree toppers though, since that is what we have always had. Sorry to disagree with such nice friends, but I have to side with Jason on this one.

Martha

P.S. I finally got my hair cut. I haven't had it this short since I was six.