Monday, January 12, 2009

Christmas Day

I'm finally getting around to posting Christmas pictures! We always open presents on Christmas morning. We all slept in (hmm...does that mean we're adults now?), but eventually everyone was gathered in the living room after a few last minute secret goings-on.What could be in this creatively wrapped present?
Mom and Dad gave Mel small stackable containers for her beads, and inside were some coupons for violin lessons! She was thrilled!


Do you think this sweater is Jason's style and size?


We had a few funny stories this year, and these two presents were one of them. Since I don't really like to wrap presents, Mom, Mel, and Jase do it. Jason then passes the presents out since he knows for whom they are intended...or so we thought. He passed me a present to open, and I didn't bother to look at the tag since he had already read it. As I opened the box, pulled out this blue shirt, and looked up questioningly, Melody said, "Jason!!!! That's your present, not Faith's!" We had a good laugh as we realized he had read the tag incorrectly. He thought it said, "To Fe, from Jase," when it was actually the opposite! We found MY present and had HIM open it. Do you think they'll fit?

Dad gave Mom an entire box full of meat (Mom loves roasts and bacon and really just about any kind of meat!) and she loved it! He bought it a few days before Christmas and kept it out in the cold garage in his tool cabinet until that morning.
A couple months ago we were at a music store, and I was trying to decide which books I wanted most. I can spend an entire afternoon (pretty rare since my family gets bored quickly) at a big store playing through music and making my choices. Mom told Melody to pay attention to which books I wanted but weren't in the final selection so she could buy one for me. Christmas morning I was quite suprised open a fun book to use with my advanced students. (I've enjoyed playing through it as well!)

I'm not quite sure why he was making this face, but does he need a reason?

My dad's mom was with us for the week of Christmas, and we really enjoyed having her!
Grandma Joy was having a hard time getting one of the ribbons off the box, so Mel and I helped her out, but we had her tear the wrapping paper off to show her brute strength!
Jason couldn't let someone out-do him. "Built Ford Tough"
Mmm...my favorite candy!
Four C.S. Lewis books in one.

Melody and Jason have a tradition of wrapping their presents to each other in very unusual ways. I think the goal is to be as strange as possible. Last year Jason attached an old cell phone to Mel's package, and this year, she put tissue "flowers" on his along with mis-matched paper.

Mom gets a family game for us every year.
We saved Dad's present for last, but we made him work for it. We sent him on a treasure hunt all around the house. One clue was on the toothpaste...

In the serger...

He had to put together a puzzle to find the next clue which sent him to...
...the piano bench.
The last three clues kept Dad in the basement so Jason and I could quickly deliver his present from where we'd "stashed" it in a driveway down the street. It took us a little longer than expected, but Melody did a great job stalling them until it was safe to come up. Dad's last clue sent him up the stairs to look out the back door where this was parked in the driveway!

He was completely suprised and shocked!



Now just so you know, we don't normally give such large gifts, but this year we were excited to find something that Dad really needed. His old van has been on its last leg for the past 5 years, and only God has kept it running. This winter, the old van had to be hooked up to the charger each night just to get it going again in the morning. Dad is very hard to buy for, and when Jason found this work van for a good price, we couldn't pass it up. God has perfect timing!We told Dad it's his Christmas/birthday/Christmas/birthday/Christmas (etc.) present for quite a few years! *wink*

I didn't even notice until afterwards that Jason and Dad were in this picture as they were looking in the back of the van.

Our neighbors were in on the secret, and they came over to inspect the new ride too! We had more fun giving Dad his gift than we did receiving ours!

After brunch and Bible time, we made the trip into the suburbs to my aunt's house for Christmas with my mom's side of the family. It was a small group this year since 4 of her siblings are now doing their own Christmases, but two of her sisters, their families, and my grandparents were able to come.
We had a good time eating, opening white elephant gifts, playing games, and just visiting.

Aunt Tammy, Raymond, Nick, and John


Uncle Tom, Jase, Grandpa, and Nick

Kelly and Uncle Ray

Do I know this person?
Playing the card game, Scum

Mom brought out the Spoolka game, and it was a hit!


John had a hard time with this game at first, but he was determined!

Ray and John (he's ready!)
The Jenga players: Aunt Tammy, Grandpa, Grandma, Dad, and Aunt Denise.

We ended our evening with dessert, and there was lots to choose from!
So that was our Christmas Day--hope you enjoyed yet another glimpse into the lives of the Hemmer family!

9 comments:

theTwins said...

3 things.
1. don't torture us with pictures of chocolate (now I'm hungry)
2. Oooohh, a new piano book? :)Yes!
3. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing pictures of "a Hemmer Christmas"
=D

Anonymous said...

Spoolka! Never heard of it but it looks like fun! How was Blokus?
New games are great! Thanks for sharing Christmas memories.
~The Pollock family

Simply Tiffany said...

Your Christmas looked simply wonderful! There's nothing that beats spending time and giving gifts to those you love! Thanks for the wee peek into y'alls day!

crik said...

What fun! Thanks for waiting to post pics of Christmas... Now I don't feel so bad! :)
It was rather funny lookinig at your gifts too! I think I remember some of you (or me) buying some of those or being around when some of them arrived at you house! ;)

Joanna Cole said...

Hey Hemmer family!! I'm so excited I found your blog. It's been forever sense I have seen you all. I loved seeing all your Christmas pictures.

Anonymous said...

You DID get the van!! :) Looks like you all had a grand Christmas!

The Hemmers said...

Twins-yes, I got a new piano book. Did you notice I didn't give it to you at your last lesson, though? I wasn't sure I was ready to share yet. ;-)

Pollocks-Spoolka is fun. It's an Amish game we learned from friends, and we made our own set. Blokus is definitely a thinking/planning game. Some in our family like it, and others aren't to keen on it. Depends on what mood we're in!

Tiffany-it was a very nice Christmas with lots of fun memories!

Crystal-what gifts were you around for when we were buying them?

Joanna-So how did you find our blog? It was fun hearing from you!

Helena-yes, we did get the van, and it was quite fun to surprise him with it!

Gretchen said...

I like the shirts - trying out a new style, are we? What a surprise for your Dad! thanks for letting us in on the fun. - GJ

crik said...

Let me see...
It think it was the Areo shirt (Remember you had my "buy" it for you?)
The Ford one showd up in the mail one day.
And Fe's piano book. I was almost going to check it out with my stuff! :D
And it seems to me there was something else I just can't remember...