Saturday, September 20, 2008

ICHE Family Camp

A few weeks ago we went up to Camp Timberlee in Wisconsin for the ICHE family camp. We stayed in this cabin (well, it's not really a cabin but I didn't know what else to call it!) with a number of other families. There was a large room in the center with a fireplace and multiple private rooms surrounding it.

Timberlee is quite large, so we were very glad to have brought our bikes with us. Uh, Jason, I think you need a boat if you're going to continue in that direction!

James, Jason and Spencer just hanging out and talking...
Mallory and Morgan Grutzias at the carpet ball game...


Marissa, your balls look awfully far away!


This is one view (slightly blurry!) of the dining hall. The food was wonderful! I admit that I especially enjoyed the icecream and all the toppings. The toppings included Reese's Pieces and Peanut Butter Cups, M & M's, Snickers, Butterfingers, strawberries, hot fudge, caramel, and whipped cream! Mmmmm!


The lake was absolutely lovely.

There were a lot of hiking paths that I would have liked to explore, but I didn't have the time!

The water slide looked like fun, but it's closed after Labor Day. We had gorgeous weather, but it would have been a bit cold for swimming!

I thought these paddleboats were neat - you could fit four people on them!

I was fore-warned that seaweed fights are a common occurrence, and sure enough - they are!

If you listen closely you can hear Jacob say something like, "Should I look con-fus-ed? That's my normal look." (He didn't know I was videotaping instead of snapping a photograph!)

Sandy and Sarah Wendtland
Jason and Jacob (there were a lot of "J" guys there...Jason, Jeremiah, James, Jacob...)


On Saturday afternoon Jeff Uecke did a chalk talk for us. It was a real treat; I haven't seen someone else do one since I did my training a few years ago. The hidden black light image was of a flying eagle.
The most popular activity for the young people was volleyball, and we played it ALL weekend!


I love some of these action shots.


Anna Barnard would rather build castles and find treasures in the sand than play volleyball!
The courts had lights so we could even play at night. We didn't go to bed until 1:30 or 2:00 in the morning!


Saturday night was the picnic when all the campers were together. The menu included nachos, barbecue, Caesar salad, potato salad, chips, beans, and a variety of cookies and drinks.

Hmmm, so what does cold nacho cheese taste like, Sarah?
We helped with getting ready for the meal - there was quite a lot of work and preparation involved.
Chopping lettuce for the Caesar salad...

Dad is suited up and ready to make sandwiches!


Dessert, anyone?

After the meal, Mr. Grutzias gave a message and then various people who were dressed up as heroes of the faith came forward while we guessed who they were.

Sacajawea (Mia) standing next to Queen Esther (Mrs. Grutzias)
This dad and his son didn't come prepared with a costume, but they found some last minute props. They were Isaac and Jacob and they brought a knife and a board from the altar!
Cool hat, Sarah.

Saturday night also included hayrides. We went on the last one at 10:00.

Any guesses at who started the hay fight? Mrs. Barnard!




By this point everyone was getting rather sleepy. I didn't let myself doze off because you never knew when someone might shove hay down your back!

Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday morning we joined the Barnards and some other friends in leading worship.

Bet you didn't know I could dunk, did you?

Sarah is trying...

This wasn't a regular basketball court. There were about 20 hoops set up and you had to bounce the ball off two backboards and make it into the hoop. Quite a challenge!

Robby has a different view of the world!

All in all, it was quite a fun weekend. My one complaint was that it only lasted three days!

8 comments:

Danielle said...

Aw, looks like so much fun! :) And the Wiltabanks were there! ;) Looks like it was a lovely camping spot, fun fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Melody,

It was really nice to be able to spend some time with you at family camp. :) Glad you got pictures because no one in my family did. :(

~Mandie Capp

The Hemmers said...

Feel free to copy any pictures, Mandy!

The Hemmers said...

Sorry, I mean "Mandie"!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I will probably do that! :)

~Mandie

The Sisson Clan said...

We love these pictures, especially since we couldn't be there this year. BooHoo What a fun time everyone must have had. Did you guys dress up?

The Hemmers said...

No, we didn't dress up. I thought about it, but we already had so much stuff we were bringing; you should have seen the back of Jason's truck!

Nate said...

It looks like y-all had so much fun. I was very sad that I did not make it up there this year. Though, I have heard that strange things have started happening to peoples bicycles when they are up there. : D