Thursday, July 16, 2009

Pegasus Special Riders

A number of years ago my family and I volunteered at a place called Pegasus Special Riders. Since I had more free time this summer I decided that I wanted to work there again.

Pegasus is a horseback riding program that provides an activity that is both fun and therapeutic to children and adults who have special needs. They have 20 horses that have been donated to the organization; many volunteers come during the week to help with the classes and the multitude of "barn chores".

Previously when we worked here, all the classes were outdoors. A few years ago they updated their facility and had a wonderful, new arena built.

In the tack room, each bridle and halter are labeled with the horse's name. Since there are so many horses and I don't have them all memorized yet, I often refer to the ring binder that has the names and pictures of each horse and what pasture they are in.

Before each class begins, the other volunteers and I go and catch each horse that will be used during that lesson, then groom and saddle them.
This is a shot of the indoor arena where all the lessons take place. I couldn't get any pictures of any of the actual classes since I was leading a horse during that time!
Each client is different in what they are capable of. Most need a volunteer to lead the horse, some need a leader and two people to walk alongside for support, and a couple are able to handle the horse and do everything themselves.

Pegasus has plenty of barn cats who wander around begging for attention!

Black Jack is all saddled and ready to go...

Just like the people, each horse has its own unique temperament. Brock is a Halflinger who can be quite a handful sometimes!

I'm so glad I have an opportunity to work at this organization - I'm not looking forward to the season ending in October or November.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

That looks like so much fun Melody! I'm glad God has given you the opportunity to use your time in this way, I'm sure it's a blessing!!! :)

Anonymous said...

That is a really neat way to serve. How often do you work there? I've always liked Halflingers but the sight of them usually makes me wonder how they can see where they are going. Their thick, fluffy forelock seems to always be covering their eyes!

Martha

The Capp Crew said...

HI I think that is neat !! Ahna has begun volunteering at a place near us called "partners for progress" it is the same idea , we have ony been doing it for about 2 months though .

Gretchen said...

Wow, that's really neat! What a blessing to those involved. Reminds you how much we have to be thankful for, doesn't it!