Monday, March 9, 2009

Weekend with the Sissons

We spent the last weekend in February with the Sisson family and other friends in that area. Melody and I went up on Friday so she could teach cartooning for one of their History Days.

She began by teaching them a few basic drawing principles.
Anna B.
Jason G. working on his shading.
Next she showed them how to draw cartoon faces and apply them to other non-human objects.
I think they all really enjoyed it.
The next morning, Haley, Melody, and I prepared food for the evening meal. Lasagna is messy project, but for some reason we didn't have aprons on.
Matthew showed Jason S. some of his Legos, and when we went over to see what they were doing, we found them on the floor building and playing with them. My siblings and I really enjoyed playing with Legos when we were growing up, so I might have joined them if I hadn't been busy cooking!
Later that afternoon, my brother and parents arrived, and we joined a small group of people for some English Country dancing.

Haley, Ahna C, Matthew, and Megan and Daniel P. doing a "box the gnat"

Blake P, Mandie C, and Jacob B. in a "right hand star"
We almost had even ratio of guys and girls, and it made it so much easier to dance. That's surprising since girls usually outnumber the guys by quite a bit. Ahna and I were the only girl partners in this dance.
Mel and Jase "leading up"
After dancing, we all went back to the Sisson's house for supper and visiting.
We played a variation of the game "4 men on a couch".
We only had time for one game; I think it was the longest "couch game" we've ever played!
Mrs. Sisson, her parents, and Dad decided not to join us and played cards at the kitchen table instead.
Mandie and Jacob had fun playing Haley's harps.
Mrs. Sisson knows Mom and her love of puzzles, so she put this one in their bedroom to see if Mom would try it.
Mom didn't realize what it was a puzzle, and we ended up telling her. Of course she loved the challenge!
The next day after church, the juggling stuff was brought out. We can't get together with the Sissons without having a bit of juggling.

Jason and Nate are trying to perfect passing 7 balls.
They did pretty well, but I think in this picture, they are losing them!
Melody and Matthew then joined them for more passing patterns.
We spent the rest of the time visiting and just enjoying each other. Thanks for hosting us for the weekend, Sissons!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a fun weekend! I must admit that I would probably be on the floor playing with the Legos too. They were our absolute favorite toys when we were kids. Ah, what happy memories! Did you have basic building sets or certain themes? I still enjoy legos but more as architectural tools now. I like to doodle house plans and different styles of architecture so I guess making little 3-D models goes along with that :) I think it would be fun to build a scale model of our barn if I could get my hands on the right pieces...
Martha

Anonymous said...

That was a lot of fun!! Can't wait to see you this weekend!
~The Pollock family