Friday, October 31, 2008

Reformation Day Faire

Last Saturday, Mom, Dad, and I went to a Reformation Day Faire near Peoria. Providence Church and the McDonald family did a wonderful job hosting this fun event! Having never been to the Reformation Day before, we didn't know all what to expect, but we really enjoyed ourselves!
We learned about the Scottish Reformation and John Knox and spent the day visiting with friends and joining in all the activies. Since Melody wasn't there to help with the picture taking, I didn't get shots of everything, so I swiped a few pictures off a couple different blogs. I can't be everywhere at once, can I?
It was fun listening to the bagpipes.
Here's one of the swiped pictures (Obviously, since my camera is in my hand.). It was windy and a bit cool, but the sunshine was wonderful. The English are waiting for the Scots to charge during the Boffer War.
These Scots must have been taking a break from fighting.
Onward! A little one-on-one skirmishing
I had to get a picture of this little cutie!
One of the events in the Highland Games was the Caber Toss. The log was flipped once, and the distance of the throw was marked where the small end landed.
These two guys were in charge of retrieving the log and helping the contestant get it balanced for the throw. Lots of back and forth work for them! I'm not sure what this game was called, but look at the size of that rock!
I wish my brother had been able to be there that day. This kind of game is right up his alley!

The onlookers...

and those waiting for their turn to compete... Weaving, arts and crafts, sketching, and candlemaking were some of the booths set up in the Town Square.
While waiting for the Psalm singing to begin, I took this picture of the man playing the bagpipes. I didn't lighten the pic because I liked how he was silhouetted against the stained glass window.
During chapel time, Nathan Clark George performed some of his songs, and Pastor McDonald gave a message about John Knox.
This little guy was worn out from his busy day. He crashed on his sister's lap before supper even began. Too adorable!
We ended the evening with dancing! Amber was my partner for most of the dances. She even taught me how to do the Polka step.
In case you can't tell by that smile, she loves to dance!
Our parents watched us mostly, but Mom and Dad did join in on the Virginia Reel.
Swing your partner...
Waltz time
This couple really knew how to waltz. They were fun to watch.
I loved seeing all the costumes that day.Part of this round dance included the California Twirl. Somehow I always end up being the guy whenever we do this move. I'm not sure I would know how to do it if I am ever the girl!
I enjoyed meeting new people and spending time with friends.
Now that's the way to make your exit.
Thanks for the fun day, McDonalds!

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Faith, It was wonderful to meet you at the Reformation Day faire! :) Great post of pictures and information on the day!

The Capp Crew said...

Looks like so much fun! The costumes are really interesting.

Anonymous said...

Hi Faith~
The Faire was such a good time!
We were glad to get to meet you there. Great photos!
Blessings~
the Pollock family
xanga.com/pollockfam

jess said...

How fun!

jess

Jessica McDonald said...

Hello!! I'm so glad that y'all had a good time at the Reformation Day Faire!! We had so much fun putting it together and it was so thrilling to be able to meet so many new and like-minded families!!
Hope to see y'all there next year!!(Or maybe at another of Lucas Hedding's dances in Bloomington? ;-D)

God bless and have a fabulous week!!!

In Christ Alone,

Jessica McDonald

Anonymous said...

I'm going next year for sure!

Jason hemmer

The Hemmers said...

Yeah, too bad you and Mel had to work.